For those who use Virtual DJ – this post will BLOW you away. Atomix (the makers of VDJ) have just released 1 week ago, an Apple application called “Virtual DJ Remote” where you can literally control your Virtual DJ from your iPhone or iPad!
I just tried it and it worked so well I had to make a post about it. Basically the idea is you can walk around the club or party you are spinning at and mix songs (yes it’s not as hard as it seems), make loops, play samples (sirens, etc…), play effects, cue, and sync up 2 tracks!
First off, here are some links to show you how it works and some screenshots:
- Official Virtual DJ Page for iRemote (register & login to view link)
- Virtual DJ Remote in the Apple Store (register & login to view link)
- A great thread you can follow for the latest news and help (register & login to view link)
There is no great documentation out there so it may be a little confusing for some computer noobies, which is why I will outline each step for you guys!
- Download and install the latest iTunes for your Mac or PC (register & login to view link) or open up iTunes and click Help/Check for Updates
- If you are using a Windows PC – Download Bonjour Network Services by Apple (register & login to view link)
- If you have already PAID for Virtual DJ – download the latest update to Virtual DJ 7.0.2 (this is VERY important, the iRemote will NOT work with ANY other version other then 7.0.2, so if you have Virtual DJ 6.0, it will not work
- If you have NOT paid for VDJ, you can download the newest free version of 7.0.2 which will work perfectly – Download here (register & login to view link)
- Now you need to download and install Virtual DJ iRemote on your iPhone or iPad (pretty sure this will work on iPod touch as well) – Download here from your iPhones or iPad (register & login to view link) for $9.99 (well worth it!)
- Now you need to connect your iPhone/iPad to your Laptop. The easiest way is to connect your laptop AND iPhone/iPad to the same wireless network you use at your home. If this is what you want, proceed to step 8, if you want to use this at a gig without an internet connection, proceed to step 7.
- If you want to use this outside of the house without a wireless network follow this step. For Windows users, click here (register & login to view link) and complete only Step 1. For mac users, click here (register & login to view link) and complete the first 40 seconds of the video. Once you created your own network, you need to connect to it on your iPhone/iPad.
- Now that BOTH your laptop (with VDJ 7.0.2 running) and your iPhone/iPad are connected to your wireless network, open up the new Virtual DJ and click “Config” (on the top right for PCs). Click on the new tab on top that says “iPhone/iPad”, and put a checkmark on the “Enabled” box. Leave this window open for the next step.
- Start Virtual DJ Remote on your iPad/iPhone and it will search for your computer. Go back to your laptop and you SHOULD see your device. Click on it and click “Connect”.
- Load up 2 tracks on each deck and GO CRAZY! The samples you can use are the first 4 on your laptop, the effect is the one you have selected on your laptop, and you can switch tracks based on the playlist you are currently in on your laptop.
This should not take you more then 5-10 minutes to set up the first time, and then 10 seconds each time after that. I am really amazed at how quick and responsive my iPhone was to control my laptop. This is DEFINITELY for those who want to show off at your next party and take your DJing to the next level of fun and entertainment (Club DJs, you can bring this iPad and run samples and effects off it all night). Once you have figured it out, you can download this additional skin (register & login to view link) to go along with it. Let me know if this was easy to follow and post any comments below. Enjoy!
-DJ David Bitton